Over the last decade, the perception of school lunch has been marred by questions — posed by high profile figures including Jamie Oliver and Michelle Obama — about the quality of ingredients and nutritional value of offered meals. At the same time, the program is a lifeline for many families. We speak to Cara Wade, aka Butterface Lunch Lady, about what goes into to planning, cooking, and feeding a school full of children.
Powered by RedCircle
Links In This Episode
- Cara on Instagram, @bytterfacelunchlady
- Cara on TikTok, @butterfacelunchlady
- Cara’s website, where you can grab some of her recipes and contact info
About Our Guest
You might know Cara Wade from Instagram or Tiktok as Butterface Lunch Lady where she shares the large scale recipes she makes as kitchen director at a K-12 school near Portland, Oregon. Cara had been working in the culinary industry for over 14 years before becoming a lunch lady, including work as a caterer, chef, baritas, pastry chef and more.
Keep the Conversation Going
Wondering what the deal is with our community? Let us break it down so that you can join us where we can help you best!
Our FREE community membership is always available, and all you need to do is sign up with your email (which we never share with anyone!). Community Members get access to our message boards, where they can ask questions, trade tips, and commiserate with with thousands of other busy home cooks. They also get access to our recipe archive.
Our SUPER FAN membership comes with the community boards and recipe access, too, along with a whole host of other fantastic goodies including:
- And ad-free stream of all DIJFY episodes (!!!!!)
- Two full-length bonus episodes every month
- Behind-the-scenes audio cuts that include outtakes, bloopers, and extended conversations
- Bi-monthly Office Hours where we address YOUR questions and troubleshoot YOUR kitchen, cooking or feeding challenges live and in real-time
If you really want customized, hands-on help from us, we also offer a BFF (best fan forever) membership option which WE LOVE because it allows us to work with you directly, one-on-one (you know, if you consider us one unit!).
Check out all of our community options on the Community page of our site, and join us TODAY! We can’t wait to hang out and treat you to all the extra goodies we’ve made just for you!