This fantastic recipe from Elizabeth Bailey’s cookbook, The Make-Ahead Sauce Solution, is an unusual take on pumpkin — garlicky, with a good kick of heat. If you have some fresh pumpkin that doesn’t seem sweet enough for pie, it’s probably perfect to use here instead. Otherwise, use canned.
The sauce you end up with is more multi-purpose that you might think. Bailey recommends the following serving ideas:
- Baked Potato / 2/3 cup sauce per potato / Spoon sauce over potato. Serve with green salad.
- Chicken / 1 cup sauce per pound of chicken / Spoon sauce over sliced chicken. Serve with tortillas and spinach salad.
- Pork / 1 cup sauce per pound of pork / Spoon sauce over sliced pork. Serve with boiled potatoes and steamed broccoli.
- Beef / 1 cup sauce per pound of beef / Spoon sauce over sliced beef. Serve with white rice and roasted mixed bell peppers.
- Soup / 3½ cups sauce and 2½ cups chicken or vegetable broth per 4-serving pot / Garnish with chopped bell pepper.
Excerpted from The Make-Ahead Sauce Solution © by Elizabeth Bailey. Used with permission from Storey Publishing. All Photos of Elisabeth and from The Make-Ahead Sauce Solution (c) Joseph De Leo.