Rice is the third largest agricultural commodity, and the only of the top three grown primarily for human consumption. That makes it the most important food crop to human sustenance, providing humans worldwide with a whopping one-fifth of our caloric intake. Rice is that important. And kind of tricky to cook — until you know how to do it right.
So Many Ways to Go Right — or Wrong
Rice can be deceptively difficult to cook, with even the most experienced cooks getting it wrong (so wrong) sometimes. It doesn’t help that a quick search for how to cook rice yields a gajillion methods, every one claiming to be the best. (And, yes, that’s an exact count.)
But truly, once you get the hang of it, cooking rice well becomes second nature. You’ll find the right pot, the perfect setting on your stove, a technique that works for your cooking style, and you’ll get it done well. You’ll also wonder how you tolerated all that gummy, mushy rice you tolerated before, because there’s no need for that nonsense anymore!
Here are links mentioned in this week’s episode:
- Ricopedia, ALL the ways to cook ALL the rice
- The Pasta Method for Boiling Rice
- Perfect Ricce in a Rush (the method that Meghan swears by)
- Coconut Rice
- Meghan’s Instant Pot Rice
- How to steam rice perfectly every time
- How to Fix Mushy Rice, Undercooked Rice, Crunchy Rice, and More Rice-Cooking Fails
- Stacie’s Baked Cheesy Rice with Green Chiles recipe
- Reasons You Should Wash Your Rice and Reasons You Shouldn’t
- Another perspective: Rinsing Rice Is the Difference Between Fluffy and Mushy Grains (and yet another vote for rinsing your rice)
- Perfect Sushi Rice
- A whole bunch of delicious rice recipes!
Here are products mentioned in this week’s episode:
- Lundberg Calrose rice
- Botan Musenmai Calrose Rice
- Stacie’s Zojirushi rice cooker
- Universal Silicone Glass Pot Lid
- Oxo Good Grips Strainer (if you’re a rice rinser!)
We Love Our Sponsors!
Finally! Zero-Sugar Vitamins
Tired of vitamins dressed up as candy with nearly the same amount of sugar? Welcome to Hiya, a new vitamin made with fruits, veggies, vitamins, and minerals that have all the same kid-appeal and ZERO sugar!
In the first month, your vitamins come to your door with a reusable glass bottle that your kids can personalize with stickers, then every month thereafter, Hiya sends a no-plastic refill pouch of fresh vitamins.
Receive 50% off your first order by visiting Hiyahealth.com/DIJFY or enter the code DIJFY at checkout.
Celebrating Mothers EVERY Day!
Mother’s Day has passed, but we believe in supporting and celebrating mothers all year around, and the beautiful new book Creatrix: Wisdom, Insights and Principles Shared by Mothers of Success Stories in Sports, Business and Culture does just that.
Plus, a portion of the proceeds from this must-read celebration of motherhood are donated to Good+ Foundation, Believe and Achieve Foundation and Sow Good Now, which help support moms, kids, and families all the time — not just once a year.
Grab a copy for yourself or a mom in your life now!
Luxe For All!
OneQuince.com is our new one-stop shop for curated luxury goods, shipped direct from the world’s best specialist factories known to produce well-known luxury brands and demonstrate a commitment to high production standards, fair wages, safety and sustainability.
Think: cashmere crews, supersoft fleece pants, and the down comforters, hotel-quality sheets, and more for up to 50-80% lower than other brands.
Get free shipping and 365-day free returns at https://www.onequince.com.