There’s no magic to great cooking, but there are some tricks of the trade that can help any cook improve their final dish. From applying high heat to using spices in layers, these are our favorite ways to boost flavor in your cooking
In the wake of our episode on How to Cook Like a Restaurant Chef, in which we (spoiler alert!) warn that it’s not a particularly achievable goal, we wanted to explore easy ways to boost the flavor of home cooked meals. Because getting better flavor is always achievable. You just need to know about these flavor boosties!
Here are a few things mentioned in this week’s episode:
- Toasted Breadcrumbs
- Garlic Butter Breadcrumbs (instead of croutons!)
- The Ultimate Guide to Cooking with Fresh Herbs
- Everything You Should Know About Cooking With Spices
- Sweet and Sour Miso-Kombucha Sauce
- How to Make Kombucha at Home
- How to Caramelize Onions
- How to Microwave Steam Asparagus
- @CookSmarts on Instagram
- @ChiefSpiceMama on Instagram (TW: there is tons of great spice info and recipe content on this account, but there is also content that we feel enforces diet culture)
- Our Easy Refried Beans
Here are the products mentioned in this week’s episode:
- Aleppo Pepper
- Dried Ancho Peppers
- Stubb’s Liquid Smoke
- Shrimp paste
- Brightland olive oils
- Winner! Winner! Chicken Dinner cookbook
- The Flavor Biblecookbook
We Love Our Sponsors!
What could be a better Mother’s Day gift than a book that celebrates the way that mothers all over the world help bring out the best in us?!
The beautiful new book Creatrix: Wisdom, Insights and Principles Shared by Mothers of Success Stories in Sports, Business and Culture is a must-read celebration of motherhood chock full of stories that are empowering and heartwarming, reassuring and inspirational. Plus, a portion of the book’s proceeds are being donated to Good+ Foundation, Believe and Achieve Foundation and Sow Good Now.
Grab a copy for yourself and as a Mother’s Day gift at Amazon now.