You’ve heard us grapple with how diet culture has impacted us and shaped how we feed our families, but is talk of diet culture, body positivity, and intuitive eating a distraction from understanding the structures and systems of oppression (or worse: a tool that reinforces those structures and systems)? We talk to Jessica Wilson, MS, RD, and author It’s Always Been Ours, to start unpacking this question — and more.
Powered by RedCircle
Links From This Week’s Episode
- All about Jessica Wilson
- Jessica’s book, It’s Always Been Ours: Rewriting the Story of Black Women’s Bodies
- Jessica on Instagram, @jessicawilson.msrd
- Belly of the Beast: The Politics of Anti-Fatness as Anti-Blackness by Da’Shaun L. Harrison
- The AAP childhood obesity guidelines, “Clinical Practice Guideline for the Evaluation and Treatment of Children and Adolescents With Obesity”
Keep the Conversation Going
Wondering what the deal is with our community? Let us break it down so that you can join us where we can help you best!
Our FREE community space is always available, and all you need to do is sign up with your email (which we never share with anyone!). This space is a message board with thousands of other busy home cooks like you where you can ask them — and us (we’re in there answering questions all the time!) — questions, get advice, commiserate, and share.
If you’re interested in either getting TWO full-length bonus episodes every month and/or having access to our recipe archive (we add a new recipe every week and are about to launch meal plans!), you’ll want to look at our supporting membership options, all of which come with access to the free community board.
- HOME COOK: get access to our recipes for $7/month.
- POWER LISTENER: get our two full-length bonus episodes every month for $10/month.
- SUPER FAN: get BOTH our recipes and bonus episode for either $15/month or $130/year.
If you listen on Apple Podcasts, want our bonus episodes, and are not interested in joining via another community platform, you can subscribe to our bonus episodes directly on Apple Podcasts.
So many options to get even more of us and support from each other.